Inspired by Wil Wheaton’s life reboot, I am going to do the same thing. There are many things I don’t like about myself and that I want to change. My life has been in a stalemate for some time and it’s time to make some changes so that I can move forward.
- Write more – My goal here is 8,000 words actual writing every week. Editing doesn’t count.
- Edit more – I have several finished drafts right now that need editing. I have been putting them off until finishing the next project, but there needs to be a better system in place for getting edits done. I’m going to say the goal is to edit at least 8,000 words a week as well. That’s not really that much, but more than what I’ve been doing.
- Stream Regularly – I have been streaming on Twitch intermittently. If it’s something I want to continue doing, I should be doing it regularly. At least two hours 5 times a week is the goal. The main thing is to set a schedule in advance and stick to it.
- Read more – I have been slacking on my reading lately, which means less inspiration to write. The goal is to read at least twenty pages a day. Novels or short stories. Comic books don’t count.
- Eat/Drink Better – I need to lose some weight. This is a fact. The first part of this is eating / drinking better. I drink too much Coke. This is the first thing I need to cut out. A cup a day at the most is the goal here. 1 cup. 8 oz. That’s not a very hard goal to achieve. 1 cup of coffee in the morning and the rest of the time it’s water only. If I go out to a restaurant, order water. No cokes with free refills. As far as eating better, the goal is to make more fresh vegetables and less bready foods. Two healthy meals a week, and only one indulgent meal per week allowed. I’m letting myself a little leeway here, as most of the foods I make are very fresh and not fried or just awful. I eat okay for the most part, just a little improvement will go a long way.
- Work Out – The second part of losing weight is working out. The goal here is to spend at least half an hour every day working out in some way, be it running, bodyweight workouts, or walking the dog if I’m hurting that day.
- Sleep better – I have already been trying to improve this, but I’ve been slacking again the last couple days. I tend to go to bed and watch youtube videos until 1am, then sleep until 9 or so. I’d like to change that to be asleep by 11 and up at 7. I was doing this for a few days and I felt much more productive. I need to get back to that.
- Post more on social media – I have a twitter, and my blog, but I so rarely post on it. I need to do this more. Networking is so important for a new author that it’s nearly impossible to get published without some sort of online presence. I need this, so the goal is to post SOMETHING every day on twitter, and post a full blog post every week on my WordPress, about whatever I’m working on or thinking about.
So these are my goals. Like Wil, I’ll check in every month and grade myself on how I’m doing. I hope by laying these out like this and holding myself accountable that I can improve on these things. Goals may change every couple months, but only if I’m doing well in them.
Leave me a comment and let me know what you think about these goals, or personal goals of your own. Any encouragement is greatly appreciated. Having an audience will definitely help me stay accountable. Thanks for reading!